+1-514-907-2560 | +1-418-264-7262


21 Jun 2017 - Immigrant Services Association of Nova Scotia
You Gotta Sing! Donation to ISANS Refugee Emergency Fund
20 Jun 2017 - Immigrant Services Association of Nova Scotia
June 20 is World Refugee Day: It’s time to lead. Again. Always.
19 Jun 2017 - Immigrant Services Association of Nova Scotia
Please Join Us June 28 – Annual & Special Meeting
19 Jun 2017 - Immigrant Services Association of Nova Scotia
Halifax refugee supporters to Ottawa: Canada can be ‘a world leader’
16 Jun 2017 - Immigrate to Manitoba, Canada
EOI Draw #31
You are here: Home Immigrate Canadian Experience Class

Canadian Experience Class

The Canadian Experience Class allows candidates who have skilled work experience in Canada to be selected for immigration to Canada under the Express Entry selection system.


Minimum requirements for Skilled Work Experience


Candidates must as a minimum:

  • have at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) skilled work experience in Canada in the three years before they apply;
  • have gained this experience in Canada legally;
  • meet the required minimum language levels needed for this job for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing and listening);
  • plan to live outside the province of Quebec (The province of Quebec does not use Express Entry. Quebec selects its own skilled workers. See the  Quebec Skilled Worker Program  to find out more).


Self-employment and work experience gained while they were a full-time student (for example, on a co-op work term) does not count under this program.


Definition of skilled work experience


Candidates must have Canadian skilled work experience within three years of applying.  According to the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC), Skilled work experience means experience in:

  • Managerial jobs (NOC skill level 0)
  • Professional jobs (NOC skill type A)
  • Technical jobs and skilled trades (NOC skill type B)


This experience must be at least 12 months of full-time or an equal amount in part time experience. Full time means at least 30 hours of paid work per week . 


Candidates whose existing work permit is about to expire, may be eligible for a bridging open work permit. If this is the case, this permit can let them remain working in Canada while awaiting a final decision on their permanent residence application.


Trout fishing at a cottage in the Laurentians

Minimum Requirements for Language ability


Candidates must:

  • meet the minimum language level of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 for NOC 0 or A jobs OR Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5 for NOC B jobs; and
  • take a language test approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) that shows they meet the level for speaking, listening, reading and writing.


Candidates must show that they meet the requirements in English or French by including the test results when they complete the Express Entry profile. These test results must not be more than two years old on the day candidates apply for permanent residence. Otherwise they will need to retake the test.




There is no education requirement for Canadian Experience Class. But, in order to earn points for education under Express Entry, candidates need a Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree; OR both a completed foreign credential, and an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from an agency approved by CIC. The report must show that the foreign education is equal to a completed Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree.


Express Entry points for Education are given ONLY  if a candidate's foreign education is equal to a completed Canadian high school diploma or more.


Principal applicant


Candidates who are married or live with a common-law  partner in Canada who is not a permanent resident or a Canadian citizen and who also meets the requirements, may also fill out an Express Entry profile. The one who is invited to apply and submits an application is the “principal applicant” for the couple's application.

A common-law partner is a person who has lived with another person in a conjugal relationship for at least one year. 


Other requirements


Candidates  must not be inadmissible to Canada. Find out more about inadmissibility.


If you have skilled work experience in Canada and want to live in Canada permanently, use our Canadian Experience Class Free Assessment  to see if you are eligible to apply .
Main menu
Free Assessment
About Us
Express Entry
Federal Skilled Worker Class
Federal Skilled Trades Class
Quebec Skilled Worker Program
Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP)
Prince-Edward-Island PNP
Newfoundland and Labrador PNP
Nova Scotia PNP
New Brunswick PNP
Ontario INP
Manitoba PNP
Saskatchewan INP
Alberta INP
British Columbia PNP
Canadian Experience Class
Quebec Experience Program
Quebec Experience Program for Students
Quebec Experience Program for Workers
Our email newsletter is an essential source of information that Siminca offers you.
Contact us
Keep in touch
Avoid being a Victim of Fraud
Confidentiality Policy
Terms and Conditions
© Siminca 2017
All rights reserved