+1-514-907-2560 | +1-418-264-7262


20 Jun 2017 - Canada's International Gateway
Immigration and Refugee Board Review – Terms of Reference
20 Jun 2017 - Canada's International Gateway
Ministers Hussen, Freeland, Joly and Bibeau mark World Refugee Day
20 Jun 2017 - Canada's International Gateway
Citizenship Bill Receives Royal Assent
20 Jun 2017 - Canada's International Gateway
Bill C-6 Receives Royal Assent
12 Jun 2017 - Canada's International Gateway
Government of Canada launches the Global Skills Strategy
You are here: Home Study Study in Canada to immigrate

Study in Canada to immigrate

For many, graduating with a diploma or degree from a Canadian  designated learning institution is one of the best ways to qualify for permanent residence in Canada. Foreign students enrolled in a study program leading to a government recognized diploma or degree, enjoy several advantages:


  1. they may work up to 20 hours per week while they study in Canada. Learn more about Work during your Studies Canada   
  2. they may apply to stay and work in Canada for up to 3 years after they graduate successfully from a Canadian designated learning Institution. Learn more about a Post-Graduation Work Permit
  3. they may also apply for permanent residence after graduating from a Canadian designated learning institution. Learn more Applying for permanent residence after graduating in Canada  


Because in Canada, education is provided either in French or in English, depending on the region or school chosen by the student, foreign students wishing to enroll in a Canadian college in technical or vocational school, need to demonstrate a minimum level of knowledge of English or French, in order to be admitted in the program of their choice. When a candidate’s language knowledge is insufficient prior to arrival, they may be accepted on condition that they take a complemental language course in order to achieve and demonstrate the minimum required. These language courses may have a duration of from a few weeks to 1 year depending on the candidates’ knowledge of the language prior to arrival.


Designated learning institutions


Only after successful completion of certain programs from a specific list of Government designated learning institutions may a foreign student be allowed to apply for immigration to Canada. All primary and secondary educational institutions in Canada are automatically designated but do not appear on the designated learning institution list. Each province and territory in Canada is responsible for designating schools at the post-secondary level that may enrol international students. Only the list of designated learning institutions at the post-secondary level is available.


Requirements to enter Canada as a student


Once they have been admitted in the study program of their choice, foreign students require a Canadian study permit, because Canadian study programs eligible for immigration to Canada are of at least 1 year duration. Furthermore, all persons who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada must apply for and receive either a visitor visa  or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) in order to be able to enter Canada to study. As a general rule a visa is required to enter Canada. However citizens of several countries which are visa-exempt need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to Canada. Find out if you need an eTA or a Visa


Siminca will prepare and submit your study permit  at the same time as your visa or eTA application, depending on your situation. At the same time Siminca will help you identify and register in a study program eligible for immigration to Canada.


Contact us if you wish Siminca to assist you in identifying and help you register in a study program in Canada eligible for immigration to Canada  by sending us a REQUEST FOR INFORMATION

Your first name
Your last name
Your Email address
Country of Citizenship
The personal information you provide to Siminca Society of Immigration and Investment in Canada is secure and is collected for the purpose of assessing your potential for immigration to Canada. You may consult our Confidentiality Policy for complete details. 

Main menu
Free Assessment
About Us
Learning English or French in summer camps
Learning English or French as a Second Language in Canada
Study in Canada to immigrate
Work while studying in Canada
Apply for permanent residence after graduating
Our email newsletter is an essential source of information that Siminca offers you.
Contact us
Keep in touch
Avoid being a Victim of Fraud
Confidentiality Policy
Terms and Conditions
© Siminca 2017
All rights reserved