Acquiring a Tourist Visa to Travel in Canada

Planning on coming to Canada to visit family, reconnect with old friends, or explore our beautiful cities and national parks? To ensure smooth travel to your destination, it is imperative you have the right travel documents with you.

The first step to visiting Canada is finding out which documents you require to enter the country temporarily. If you are coming to Canada on a vacation, to visit family, or to conduct business, you may require a visitor visa or an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). A visitor’s visa is restricted in length of stay and is subject to various conditions.

Citizens from United States do not need a visitor’s visa or an eTA to enter to Canada.

What Is a Visitor Visa?

A Canada Tourist visa is also known as a Canada visitor visa or a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV,) and is an official document placed in the passport. Issued by the Canadian visa office, this document proves that the individual has met the requirements to reside in Canada temporarily as a visitor. It is imperative the TRV be acquired before coming to Canada, as it cannot be obtained in the country.

What Are the Requirements for a Visitor Visa?

  • No intention to work in Canada unless authorized by an official
  • Be in good health
  • Not be a risk to Canadian security
  • Have no criminal record
  • Provide evidence showing you have adequate funds to sustain you and your family during your stay in Canada
  • Have ties with your home country and convince the visa officer that you will leave Canada after your stay

How to Apply for a Visitor Visa

You can apply for a visitor visa one of two ways: Online, or on paper. Either way, you will need to gather the documents required to request a visitor visa and submit your application and all supporting documents, including payment of the visa processing fee to the Canadian visa office serving your country of residence or citizenship. Siminca does this for you. Contact us.

Most travellers who don’t require a visitor visa may require an

Electronic Travel Authorization

(eTA) to travel to Canada or through a Canadian airport.

What Is an eTA?

This document is a requirement for most visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada or through a Canadian airport. An eTA is only required by those travelling by airplane (not by car, train, bus, or boat). Travellers from select countries may be eligible for the eTA, but will require a visitor visa if arriving by means of transport other than an airplane. Find out here if you need an eTa.

How Do I Apply for an eTA?

  1. Get the Right Documents. To apply for the eTA, you must have a passport, debit or credit card, and an email address.
  2. Apply Online. Apply for the eTA through the Online form on the Government of Canada website. Keep in mind, the form cannot be saved, so ensure your information is ready.
  3. Pay the Fee. An eTA costs CAD $7, which can be applied and paid for Online, one family member at a time.
  4. Check Your E-mail. After applying for your eTA, you will receive an e-mail detailing your personal information.
  5. Submit Documents. Some individuals may be required to submit the necessary documents before their applications can be approved. This will be sent with instructions within 72 hours.

Some requests for eTAs can take only a few minutes, and others can take several days to process. This should be taken into account when applying for an eTA close to your departure date.

Other Types of Canadian Visas

The type of visa you require is determined by the country issuing your travel document, the type of identification document you travel with, your nationality, and the purpose of your travel to Canada. Find out which type of visa you need on our free assessments page.

From stunning national parks, to vibrant cities, to cultural events and festivals, there is much to explore in Canada. Whether you plan on visiting Canada to visit family and friends, or simply travel for tourism purposes, there are several ways you can get the authorization you need for a temporary stay. At Siminca Inc., we provide advice, counselling, and representation, to clients all over the world looking to immigrate to Canada permanently or temporarily. To learn more about our services, or to find out if you qualify for a tourist visa, get in touch with us today.