Temporary Foreign Worker Work Visa

Work permits may be granted to foreign workers and professionals who have obtained a validated job offer from a Canadian employer. These work permits are valid for a specific period of time, for example 1 or 2 years, after which the foreign worker must return to his country of origin. Such permits may be renewed under certain conditions.

Furthermore, foreign workers who have accumulated work time in Canada may be eligible to apply for permanent residence under one of the several Provincial nominee programs, the Federal Skilled worker and Skilled trade programs, or under the Quebec Skilled worker streams.

Requirements to Work Temporarily in Canada

Most jobs in Canada require a work permit. Here is a brief list of the main eligibility requirements for working in Canada:

  • In most cases, the Canadian employer must first obtain a positive Labour market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Service Canada concerning the position being offered to you. Without this document, which states that the employer is authorized to bring in a foreign worker to occupy that position, you may not obtain the work permit.
  • As a candidate for that position, you must prove to a Canadian visa officer that you will exit the country once the permit expires.
  • You must provide documents proving you have the funds to sustain you and your family for the duration of your stay.
  • You must have a clean criminal record and may be asked to undergo a criminal record check.
  • You must be in good health and may be asked to undergo a medical exam in order to occupy certain jobs.
  • You have to prove that you will be working for a reliable business and that you are qualified for this.

We at Siminca provide the required assistance to employers wishing to apply for a LMIA and to foreign workers who wish to apply for a work permit. Contact us for more information.

Types of Work Permits

There are two types of work permits you may be eligible for:

  • Most work permits are Employer-Specific Work Permits. This permit restricts individuals to work according to the conditions included in the permit, which may include: the name of the employer they are eligible to work for, the location where they can work, and the duration of the work placement.
  • In some cases, a candidate may be granted an Open Work Permit. Under such a permit, a foreign Worker is allowed to work for any employer in Canada, as long as these are not considered “ineligible” (being on the list of employers who have failed to comply with regulations in the past or who offer erotic services). Open work permits are usually limited to accompanying spouses of eligible candidates such as a foreign worker who has received a restricted work permit after a positive LMIA, or a student enrolled in a post-secondary educational program in Canada with a valid student permit. Persons who have completed the minimum 24 months of work as a live-in caregiver and have submitted a permanent resident application are also entitled to an open work permit while they await completion of their application.

 Skilled Worker Permanent Resident Visas

The Canadian Government and the governments of the Canadian provinces offer a wide variety of programs, allowing for foreign skilled workers and professionals, as well as graduates of Canadian educational institutions or foreign workers with work experience in Canada, to apply for a permanent residence visa. If one of these situations applies to you, you may qualify under one of the several programs for skilled worker immigration and permanent residence in Canada.

These programs include the following:

Federal Skilled Workers Program and Federal Skilled Trades Program: Candidates for this program are selected based on age, education level, work experience, language knowledge, and other factors. Candidates may apply through the Express Entry system of selection for skilled workers and professionals immigrating to Canada.

Canadian Experience Class: This program may be suitable for you if you have you previously studied and worked in Canada and wish to become a permanent resident in a province other than Quebec.

Provincial Nominee Programs. The Canadian provinces provide numerous immigration programs to attract candidates based on their ability to settle successfully as workers. Most of these programs target international students who graduates from a Canadian college or technical school and foreign workers who have a valid job offer from and are already employed by a Canadian employer.

Quebec has its on immigration programs for candidates looking to settle in the province of Quebec.

Quebec Skilled Workers Program. This is an immigration program that selects skilled workers on the basis of their age, knowledge of both English and French, work experience, and other criteria.

Quebec Experience Class. This program targets candidates who have studied or worked in the province of Quebec, and who wish to become a permanent resident and settle in Quebec.

Contact the professionals at Siminca Inc. to inquire about whether you are eligible to apply under one of these programs to become a permanent resident of Canada as a skilled worker. At Siminca Inc., we are dedicated to providing counsel to all individuals and families planning to immigrate to Canada temporarily or permanently. With clients in Europe, Asia, and Latin America, we recognize that each individual has specific needs that must be catered to. That’s why our diverse team of experts serve our clients in English, French, and Spanish. For more information about how you can get a job in Canada, or apply for a work permit, contact us today.