Work while studying in Canada

Basilica of Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré in Quebec City

Canada recognizes that international students may gain valuable work experience by working while they are completing their studies in Canada. At the same time foreign students gain a supplemental income by working during their studies as long as this work does not interfere with the successful completion of the study program in which they enrolled in Canada. With this in mind, Canadian immigration regulations authorize full time foreign students pursuing an academic, professional or vocational program at a designated learning institution to work without a work permit for up to 20 hours per week during a regular academic session and full time during scheduled breaks and vacations.

To be able to work in Canada while they are studying it is essential that foreign students be duly registered and enrolled in a full time learning program at a designated learning institution and that they apply for and received a Social Insurance Number from Service Canada

Students who are studying English or French as a second language (ESL/FSL), or participating in general interest or preparatory courses, are not eligible to work during their studies, unless they become eligible to apply for a work permit with a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment from Employment and Social Development Canada.