Federal Skilled Worker Class

The federal skilled worker category allows Canada to select candidates for Canadian permanent residence, whose skills, education and experience will contribute to the Canadian economy.


The Federal Skilled Worker program uses a method of selection that assesses each candidate based on several factors, including: education;  Minimum Language Levels for Skilled Workers in English or in French; at least one year of full time paid work experience during the past 10 years; an arranged employment; the age of the applicant; and other adaptability factors.

It is important to notice that the work experience must be either Skill Type 0, Skill Level A or Skill Level B on the Canadian National Occupations Classification (NOC)

Express Entry

Royal Canadian Mounted Police Traditional Parade

Candidates wishing to apply under the Federal Skilled Worker Class must first submit their profile through the online application system for economic immigration categories the Express Entry system.

After applying to the Federal Skilled Workers through the Express Entry, selected candidates will receive an invitation issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). The Express Entry system performs a draw and invitations are sent to those candidates with a qualifying ranking for a specific draw.

Once a candidate is invited to apply, the period of time to apply and submit all supporting documents is 90 days. If the 90-day deadline is missed, the invitation to apply is no longer valid.


If you don’t qualify to apply under the FSW program, you still may be able to Immigrate to Canada after receiving a Canadian diploma  or degree that will enhance your profile for a permanent residence.

For instance, with a Canadian diploma from Quebec, candidates may apply under certain conditions for immigration to Canada right after graduating under the Quebec Experience Program  and at the same time apply for a work permit valid for up to 3 years while they are waiting their processing of their permanent residence application from within Canada.

Once an international student completes a program of studies at an eligible Canadian post-secondary institution he or she may apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit to stay and work in Canada for up to three (3) years.